Friday, September 1, 2023

Going to Confession
Act of Contrition
God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you, and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell; but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of your grace to confess my sins, do penance, and to amend my life. Amen.
1. The priest gives a blessing or greeting.
2. Make the Sign of the Cross and say, “Bless me father, for I have sinned. My last confession was…” (Give weeks, months, or years).
3. Confess all your sins to the priest. (If you are unsure or uneasy, tell him and ask for help.)
4. Say, “I am sorry for these and all my sins.”
5. The priest gives a penance and offers advice to help you become a better Catholic.
6. Say an Act of Contrition, expressing your sorrow for your sins.
7. Listening to the priest’s admonition and imposition of penance.
8. The priest, acting in the person of Christ, then absolves you from your sins.
And the Priest will tell you to say how many Our Father or Hail Mary for your penance.
The Priest says: Go in peace
Before Leaving The Confessional Say: “Thank you, father, please pray for me.”
After Confession
Rejoice! You have received the forgiveness of Christ! What should you do when you leave? Remember the words you recited in the Act of Contrition: “I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.”
Before you leave the confessional, the priest will give you your penance, which may consist of prayer, an offering, works of mercy or sacrifices. These works help to join us with Christ, who alone died for us. The goal of our life’s journey is to grow closer to God. We can do this through prayer, spiritual reading, fasting and the reception of the Sacraments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pray The Rosary 1 .  Make the Sign of the Cross. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. 2 . Say the Apost...